By – Dr.Sona Kaushal Gupta
EXAMS are just round the corner now. Children are asking questions of last minute preparations to gain maximum marks. Some Parents are more stressed than the students and they want to know how they can help their children feel and do better in their forthcoming exams. My advise to Parents is that they can best help their children by being happy and stress free and keeping a happy environment in the house. You can help motivate your child but don’t keep nagging him to study, Take good care of his meals and sleep and provide him with whatever he needs at this time.
- Be PosItive and think of a good happy Future. Focus on what you have to do NOW. This, however, is easier said than done. We have to learn to focus on the present moment and move forward in our preparation. It is not the time to think of the Result or Marks or our Career now. It’s all about our confidence and Time Table and Time Management and Revisions.
2. We have to work on our Belief that whatever has or is or will happen will always be for my good. We have to bounce back from our failures or negative thinking into planning and doing our revisions and sample papers..
3. Examinations are important for us because they are a step forward for us to apply all the information we have understood and absorbed to reach our next academic level.
4. Your Study Space should be no- cluttered peaceful well- lit bright and away from noise and TV and your mobile phones. The chair should be comfortable and we should always try to sit at the same place and not change our study place frequently. Use a table lamp for better concentration.
5. Study and Revise according to a schedule and study for an hour and take a break for 10 minutes in which u can relax or eat or exercise and then continue, Pre-plan what you want to revise before starting your study.
6. Understand the Concepts which are groupings of facts or attributes in steps which go together and this concept based learning helps students to understand the subject better and remember it a life long. Do not mug up without understanding. Speak out or write or explain to someone else—this helps you to remember better. Use diagrams visualize or use pneumonics to remember.
7. Sleep at least for 7 hours in the night with a continuous regular sleep You can take a catnap in the afternoon but not more than half an hour, Start waking up at the time you wake up during your exams to set your body clock to that timing.
8. Eat a high protein diet, less fat and carbohydrates. Fewer sweets and no junk food, Take plenty of water and minimum caffeinated drinks and cokes. Lots of seasonal fruits and almonds and other dry fruits help increase our cognitive power.
9. Do not forget to start your day with a nice breakfast. Never go to the school or for your exams empty stomach. Eat whatever you want to for breakfast and parents should not force their choice on their children
10. Avoid any medications on your own. Learn to deal with your stress and negative thoughts. Deep breathe and relax and revise and avoid distractions, Talk to your friends in your breaks but do not discuss their study or compare yourself to them. Switch off your wi fi when you resume your study if possible.
11. When you have done with your exam do not check or do a post mortem of your paper. Switch on to your next subject. Parents should also avoid discussing the paper they have given and gently steer their children to the next subject.
12. Remember this is just an exam and you will be giving many more such exams in future and you have given many in the past too. Do not panic or feel nervous. Talk to your parents about your feelings,
13. Remember Nothing is Impossible and no one is perfect Focus on your study and speed and is confident with yourself DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF OR YOUR STUDY to others. Spend time on revising what you have studied and do not start on something you have not studied before .at the last moment because that will take up all your time and confuse you now.
14. Exercise or listen to music in between and take regular breaks. A deep breath or do stretching exercises whenever you can.
15.Last but not least visualize a beautiful future and plan your holidays when your exams are over.
Dr Sona Kaushal Gupta
CBSE Designated Tele Counsellor
Director Pari Foundation