As India marks 71 years of being a diverse democratic country, we all feel a surge of patriotism on Independence Day and feel like doing everything the Indian way! How about celebrating the milestone with varied tastes of the country? Chef Narayan Salunke, Executive Chef, Radisson Blu Resort & Spa Alibaug curates some delightful easy-to-go recipes to satiate your taste buds.
1. Zucchini Boat Stuffed with Tricolor Risotto
|Yellow Bell Pepper Pesto||1tbsp|
|Dry White Wine||100ml|
|Salt & Pepper||To Taste|
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan heat the oil and butter over medium heat
- Sauté the chopped onions (50 gms) for 2-3 minutes
- Add rice to this and stir for a few minutes until you get a slightly nutty aroma. Ensure the rice does not turn brown
- Add wine to this mix and let it cook for a while. Add a scoop of stock and let it cook. Add another scoop of stock when all the previous liquid is absorbed. Repeat the process till the rice is tender but still firm to bite
- Make three equal parts of cooked rice. Mix each part with three different types of pesto sauce coupled with cream & parmesan cheese
- Fill these three types of risotto in a blanched scooped out zucchini halves
- Sprinkle some cheese on top and serve warm
2. One Pot Spinach, Beet & Garlic Linguine
|Spinach Paste||20 gm|
|Beet Root Paste||20gm|
|Black Crushed Pepper||2gm|
- Divide refine flour in three equal parts, and one egg in each part
- Add seasoning in equal quantity
- Add to this -spinach paste, beet paste & garlic paste
- Make a firm dough & let it rest for 30 minutes by keep it covered
- Make small balls of dough, roll & cut in thin strips. Let it boil in water until it cooks
- Sauté garlic in olive oil, toss pasta in a pan, season it & garnish with parmesan cheese
3. Tricolor Pinwheel Bites
|Bread Slices||3 slices|
|Five Spiced Tomato Sauce||50gm|
|Black Pepper||To Taste|
- Apply butter, tomato sauce and kale pesto on a slice of bread
- Stack the bread slices – first the slice with butter, then with green chutney, then place the slice with the tomato sauce
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper
- Now slowly roll the sandwich tightly holding all three slices
- Cut the roll into one-inch pieces
- Serve with green chutney on the side
4. Tricolor Chicken Dumplings
|Fine Chopped Ginger||30gm|
|Spring Onion Chopped||20gm|
|Chicken Seasoning||To Taste|
|Dark Soy Sauce||5ml|
|Water for Mixing|
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients of chicken filling and keep aside
- Knead the refined flour with a different paste till it forms a firm dough and keep aside
- Roll the dough into thin 5-inch rounds
- Fill some filling in each round
- Bring the edges together and twist to seal it
- Steam for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with different types of sauce
5. Assorted Vegetable Tricolor Dumplings
|Fine Chopped Chinese Cabbage||200gm|
|Chopped Indian Cabbage||100gm|
|Veg Seasoning||To Taste|
|Beetroot Paste||1 Tbsp|
|Carrot Paste||1 Tbsp|
|Spinach Paste||1 Tbsp|
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients of veg filling and keep aside
- Knead the refined flour with a different paste till it forms a firm dough & keep aside
- Roll the dough to thin 5-inch rounds
- Fill some vegetable filling in each round
- Bring the edges together and twist to seal it in different ways
- Steam for 15 to 20 minutes and serve with different types of sauce
Having experience over 15 years, Chef Narayan Salunke is the Sr. Executive Sous Chef at Radisson Blu Resort & Spa Alibaug. Having worked with premium hospitality brands, at Radisson Blu Alibaug, he is accountable for overall success of kitchen operations while exhibiting culinary talents and leading the staff while managing all food related functions. He is also responsible for ensuring exceptional customer service and maintaining high culinary standards at the property.
Chef Salunke has a diversified background in gastronomical science and kitchen management and has worked in all positions at major hotels and restaurant chains. In his previous stint, he was the Chef De Cuisine at The Westin, Pune. Prior to this, he was associated with Holiday Inn – Pune, Citrus and The Hilton to name a few. He has a proven record of absorbing new concepts and adapting to highly demanding and ever-changing industry norms and situations. He has strong interpersonal and team work skills.
Holding a diploma in Hotel Management & Travel and Tourism, Salunke is also a post graduate in literature from Fergusson College, Pune.
Chef Narayan Salunke’s food philosophy?
Food for him is all about authenticity and flavors of spices, freshness of ingredients, natural and organic produce from the local markets. For him flavors and colors love each other and so do colors to colors match each other.
His vision for Radisson Blu Alibaug?
Presenting the authentic cuisine across the entire city with specialty in kebabs, curry and flavorful biryanis. Salunke aims at taking the culinary experience at Radisson Blu Alibaug to completely different level with new modern ingredients used in Indian, classical and authentic cuisine paired up with modern style of presentations.
His Hobbies & Passion?
Listening to music, travelling, reading, cooking.